The Pizza Parlor
Don't Disrespect The Pizza Parlor! or Mr. Prime Rib of Pageantry
Friday, March 23, 2007
Thursday, March 22, 2007
The Golf Ball
As Paul reported earlier I once again have a shot at a big payoff thanks to a Golf-Ball Against-the-Spread Pool that I've done for three years now. Here's how it works.
1. 64 Golf Balls with tournament teams written on them go into two buckets, one for the left side of the bracket, one for the right side of the bracket.
2. 32 Participants pick a ball from each bucket to receive two teams.
3. To advance a player's team must beat/cover the spread in that day's game.
4. In the event of a loss and cover the player with the covering team advances and receives the winning team in his/her team's place.
So I originally drew.
Marquette and Indiana
Marquette lost to Michigan State in a pick 'em game eliminating that ball.
The Indiana ball covered against Gonzaga (favored by 1) but also covered against UCLA (7 point underdog, lost by 5). Therefore I have UCLA.
Last year, I also had UCLA, receiving them via Gonzaga originally drawing Xavier.
For my Golf Ball to advance UCLA would almost definitely have to win the tournament and cover all the way. They are favored by 3 against Pittsburgh. If they played Kansas in the next round they would likely be a slight favorite because the game would be played in San Jose. Florida is the only team left on their path to the final that I'd imagine would be favored against them. The biggest threat to the golf ball would be Southern Illinois. In quick turnaround action, UCLA would probably be a double-digit favorite with little time for that spread to go down. Those that have watched both teams know they both have defensive half-court styles that would make a blowout unlikely.
Funny thing is pools like this are becoming trendy. The guys from Bar Stool Sports in Boston who I hung out with last Friday (announcement coming soon) were doing a pool exactly like it.
Here's wishing UCLA and my Golf Ball luck the rest of the tournament!
Labels: March Madness
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Jack in a Box: 10 Things we know about Season 6
It's been a while since I last wrote about '24' as its been all hoops all the time for the past three weeks. So to help you catch up, here are 10 things we know from watching Season 6 so far.
10. Jack Bauer is in Foul Trouble- Or at least that's the only explanation I can think of as to why we've seen so little Jack at points during this season. When he's not resting in Medical or hanging out in Charles Logan's stable. Let's hope cutting off the Russian Consul's finger with a cigar cutter was his third and CTU is resting Jack for a frantic run of hostile killing late in the day.
9. Ricky Schroeder is still the "Silver Spoons Kid"- He can do "NYPD Blue", "24", and about eighty "Law and Order"s, he's STILL the Silver Spoons kid.
8. We're Going through Presidents Like Crazy- In approximately four years we've had five Presidents. Keeler-Logan-Gardner-Palmer-Daniels. Hockey teams don't go through coaches this fast.
7. Somehow a Neo-Con got on a Democratic Ticket- How did Daniels get elected with Wayne Palmer? Did MoveOn.org endorse these two? This is like Barack Obama being succeeded by Dick Cheney. What liberal views does Daniels have? Does he have a radical Health Care Bill? Has he moved to eliminate Corporate Welfare? I have a hard time picturing him supporting Gay Marriage.
6. We are On the Brink of War with...umm...uhh...Country to be Named Never- Might as well make up a fake country at this point. Call it Muslimia or something. Make it like the 555 area code for all politically correct minded shows to use. Funny how Jack didn't get captured by "Some Asian Country with Lots of People" and Logan didn't sign a treaty with "A former Communist Superpower".
5. You Can get Booze into CTU- All the background and schematic information on every person and place in the world. Yet as diligent as the Brewster/Boland RSA's searching my backpack for 40's from Aldo's when it comes to sneaking booze in. Maybe Morris said it was for the "1,000th Dead Terrorist Party" the next day.
4. Torture=Ratings- "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" and "Are You on the List" face promotional competition from "You will experience a pain I can't even begin to describe!" and "I'll start cutting your fingers off one by one!"
3. Jack missed some Interesting Thanksgivings- "Graham, how is the new global conspiracy coming to kill your brother, pass the cranberrry sauce", "Graham, you notice how much your son looks like your brother that your wife used to bang? Pass the rolls"
2. Muslims aren't Bad People, Muslims aren't Bad People- Only the one trying to set off the nuclear weapons is.
1. These Terrorists Suck!- Habib Marwan must be rolling in his grave. Abu Fayed and Dimitri Gredenyko had five suitcase nukes. One got set off in a tiny LA suburb then blown out to see by the wind. One got defused. And the latest one got flown into the ground by a means similar to that of an arcade video game. I bet if you pushed A, B, A, B, Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B,A Start the other two nukes would diffuse and we could end this season by the 18th hour.
Labels: Jack in a Box