Monday, July 09, 2007

Back from Vacation

I am back from my vacation spent mostly in the Washington, DC/Northern Virginia. If you're curious, I didn't do a running blog as I did just about the same trip last year. Differences between that trip and this trip: Biggest difference is last year, Josh and his wife Erin were pregnant, this year they have a beautiful 8 month old girl named Isabelle. Isabelle LOVES attention from family and strangers alike. We got along very well, obviously.

Their dog Kevin is adjusting to sharing the home with his new sister.

Most days were spent at the Woodway gym and pool while Josh worked and Erin took Isabelle to play with other babies while she gossiped with other mommies. Of course we ate at chain restaurants here is a rundown with quick summaries:

Rock Bottom- Your basic American bistro/pub, Josh and I went to what was supposed to be an SU Alumni Happy Hour but the Happy Hour seemed to be four dudes at a table with an SU flag so we stayed up front and flirted with our bartender and a waitress drinking on her day off. Of course we held both girls attention until they were swamped by horny employees who figured they could get some after work. This was the night of the NBA draft yet the employees were more interested in Copa America soccer, distressed that we wanted to watch the draft. Virginia hearts soccer apparently as every bar we went to after had Copa America on.

Glory Days- Usual Chili and Cheesesteak fun, but I'm a little saddened to hear this is chain. I thought Glory Days was special to Centreville.

Chipotle- Anyone who knows Josh and I need not be told we went here twice.

Melting Pot- A hoighty-toighty fondue restaurant which seems geared towards young adults on a third date as meals were priced to the couple and romantic music played throughout. After a bread and cheese course, salad, meat platter, and chocolate dip, I spent twenty minutes in the Men's room. Can't imagine that would contribute to a successful date.

Coastal Flats- Not to be confused with Rascal Flatts. This is Virginia's hot girl restaurant of choice as even with my brother's future in-laws present, my head was on a swivel. Delicious crab crake definitely for the yuppie crowd. On the TV at the bar, yep Copa America soccer.

Bertucci's- A convenient way for me to thank the Hughes' for their hospitality. We went to the one in Herndon. Our service was less than spectacular but I'm never comfortable using my corporate status to get a young girl in trouble as just three years ago, I had the same job as the young girl. So our beers sat a little bit. I'm forgiving. What I'm not forgiving of, Copa America soccer on every damn TV in one state.

I spent the middle of the trip getting acquainted with my brother's future in-law's the Jagodnik's. I would have nothing but nice things to say even if they weren't already fronting thousands of dollars so I can drink my ass off on a Saturday in September but thanks to them I was able to enjoy Washington's Fireworks on the Mall from Ft. Myer which we were only able to go to because of Daren's future Father-In-Law's status as a retired Lieutentant-Colonel in the Air Force. An awesome view and a reminder of who I have to thank to live in such a great country.

Couple anecdotes from the week:

For a religious, moral man, Josh LOVES stealing. He makes it a point to steal something from every trip he goes on. At Billy's Bachelor Party he stole a tee-marker and had us sign it as a souvenir for Billy. So we go to the Shade Tree bar (not a chain I hope) where its Country Karaoke Night (like old Willie Nelson karaoke, not the new brand that's growing on me presently). Two beer bottles are on the bar. The bartender takes our order but doesn't take any cash from us or a credit card to start a tab. So Josh decides itd be fun, to down our beers, take the two on the bar and leave without paying. Yep we stole beer. We pull this off running through the parking lot giggling.

During the July 4th Independence Day parade, a nice young father of two lets my mother up to the front with her wheelchair so she can see my sister twirl. When I asked where he was from he said "all over" as he was in the military and had moved his family (including two sons) from base to base. He left his children be until the Teletubbies went by on the parade at which point he covered his children's eyes and told me when he caught them watching when they were younger, he'd grab the remote and change the channel. Red State Folk: The nicest people you'll ever meet as long as you don't remind them of anyone gay.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home