Thursday, June 07, 2007

Catching Up: Why the Hiatus?

As some of you have suspected, the panning from Bar Stool Sports sent me into a "Writer's Funk" where writing felt like more of a waste of time than anything else.
After the debacle which was my "Church of Piolichick" column, I quickly wrote my editor with another column, a well researched link-filled look at other Major League contenders other than the Yankees that could not be labeled a "weak effort", and a professional apology for how the previous column was received.

This was his response...






Nor was the column ever posted. The lack of professionalism surprised me even for a free newspaper and viral website. Funny thing is I sensed a harbinger to this when my editor thanked me for my draft work by saying I did great work "for a Bar Stool rookie". While I stand by my last column with them, even though it wasn't my best work, I admit I made the mistake of writing for what I thought the audience was rather than writing as myself.

Anyway the embarrassment made me trigger shy with my writing causing the hiatus on this blog, but the good news is I am now over it. I am working on another blog project that will allow me to write sportswriting that comes easily to me and is enjoyable (If you want a hint, this project will launch in August). I am back to posting to this blog regularly or at least as regularly as I can.

I am also about to embark on the "Summer of a Lifetime", loaded with bachelor parties, weddings, and a vacation. This is the first summer with my new laptop which will make blogging the events of this summer even more fun and timely.

As always I thank you for reading and promise more quality posts in the future.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:28 AM , Blogger Paul said...

Welcome back, Derek. You have to write for the same reason Drago fights "yosibya!"
The people who let other people's opinions of them determine their actions are slutty high school girls who suck dick to make boys like them.
You don't want to end up anorexic with genital herpes, so keep writing and don't worry about what people say.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home