Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Paul Poops on Sopranos' Critics

My good friend Paul is lashing out at critics and speculators of Sunday's Sopranos finale.

He calls the ending "genius", I'm not sure if he believes this or is doing what he loves, observing a consensus and arguing the merit in the other point of view.

My argument is that after eight years of investing emotions and thoughts into a character, we deserved to know what happened to Tony Soprano either way. If Sunday night just ended with them together eating onion rings I would've been fine (I've never been a Sopranos "bloodhound" like the friend of mine who texted me halfway through saying "this is touching and all, but I want some killing"), if Members Only jacket guy had shot Tony, I would've been fine. But not knowing makes me feel a little stupid for caring about Tony Soprano for six (really seven) seasons.

He also took some shots at '24' which is popular to do this year (although he's been consistent with this). For the record this would be an intelligent way to end '24', even though I would riot, to kill or not kill Jack in the first minute of the 25th hour.

Yes, I am trying to settle this argument so that it does not dominate what is shaping to be an epic weekend coming up where I will run into Paul and most of the rest of Kliq 920.

Perhaps Paul is just lamenting the loss of a crush. I somehow don't think Jamie-Lyn Sigler is going anywhere and will show up on some CBS sitcom someday (maybe How I Met Your Mother).

I also still think at some point HBO will unveil the ending in a desparate ratings grab sometime next year.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:02 AM , Blogger Paul said...

I'm not going to even bother defending myself beyond saying that both Mrs. Poop and I said we loved the episode right after it ended, before we heard any reaction.
As I was watching it my heart was racing, I was so into it, what a great job they did. Why would the quality of the episode change just because no one got shot?
If you only liked Sopranos because of the violence you were missing the point.
For the last time, THERE IS NO ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!! They can't unveil the real ending because there is none. These are not real people, nothing happened beyond what we saw. The episode only hinted at what might have happened, which is the genius of it.

 
At 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in total agreement with you. It would have been unconscionably lame for Chase to have put in "A Big Farewell" where Tony just gets whacked or arrested with some melodramtic death scene. The way it ended was perfect. I think everyone is just mad because EVERYONE had their theories about how it was going to end, who was going to whack Tony, etc and NO ONE was right. It was great.

As a fan of 24 though, I do have to say that that show has got my blood pumping at high levels more than once. Not so much this year, but in the past...although not a lot gets my blood pumping as much as Ricky Schroeder...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home