Sunday, April 06, 2008

My Women's Bracket: Elite Eight



Greensboro Region:

UConn over Rutgers- While Rutgers had beaten UConn earlier in the season, they got trounced by them in the rematch and got upset in the Big East Tournament. Plus they had developed a martyr complex after the Imus controversy and a controversal loss to Tennessee in February. UConn had Maya Moore who went to UConn, apparently after a tour of ESPN studios and they assured her Keith Olbermann was no longer employed there.

New Orleans Region:

LSU over North Carolina- The game was in New Orleans and Pokey Chatman was no longer LSU's coach. I figured that was two plusses. Plus I didn't want to be peppered with "Can UNC win both titles" talk all week long, so I bet with my heart here.

Oklahoma City Region:

Tennessee over Duke- So excited to use this joke again. Is Candace Parker taking the same major as Chris Leak, JamesOn Curry, and Paul Harris (trust me in two years you'll understand that one)? Anyway, I think Tennessee had the easiest road to the Final Four of any of the one seeds and made this pick without blinking. On my trip to Nashville earlier this year, there was a billboard of Pat Summitt for insurance or something. I don't even know who Duke's coach is?



Spokane Region:

Stanford over Maryland- I made this pick after seeing how pissed Stanford was at getting, essentially a 5th No. 1 seed. I knew their coach would be able to rally them around bullshit and they'd roll over Maryland. Plus they showed Maryland's coach at halftime of their championship game win (the one held in Boston) and mentioned she had twins earlier in the year. Had to believe the twins were making her go soft.

1 Comments:

At 2:15 AM , Blogger Paul said...

Salient analysis, but I have a few things to add.

Tennessee complained to the NCAA about Maya Moore's tour of ESPN. It probably also led to the two schools discontinuing their regular season series. Unfortunately, we won't get to see them play in the title game.

LSU made 5 Final Fours in 5 years, for 4 coaches. They're 0-5.

Candace Parker is the first player in women's basketball history to leave school with eligibility remaining, to go to the WNBA. She only played 3 years, because a knee injury caused her to sit out one season.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home