Sunday, April 06, 2008

My Women's Bracket: First Round


In my first year doing an NCAA Tournament Bracket for WOMEN'S Basketball, I managed to achieve a Top 10 percentile and nail all four final four teams. Well I picked the right ones, I didn't actually "nail" the teams, that would be a much more interesting blog. I feel much like the lucky receptionist in the men's pool as my logic in picking the teams had little to do with any knowledge of current Women's Basketball (Update: Stanford beat UConn tonight when I had the opposite result so my bracket isn't as stellar, but for a rookie, I still did pretty well.)

First Round

UConn over Cornell, North Carolina over Bucknell, Tennessee over Oral Roberts, Maryland over Coppin State- In Women's basketball a 16 (Harvard) has beaten a 1 (Stanford) but I don't know which year and didn't know that when I made these picks. If I had I would've picked Oral just for one last opportunity to use those jokes.

Rutgers over Robert Morris, LSU over Jackson State, Texas ATM over UTSA, Stanford over Cleveland State- Again, all chalk. Pretty easy so far. For the record LSU's opponent was really called Janet... Jackson State if you're nasty!

Cal over San Diego, Oklahoma State over East Tennessee State, Duke over Murray State, Baylor over Fresno State- How seriously can women take their basketball in San Diego? Oklahoma State's team is called the Cowgirls, which will be changed in a few more years of sluts wearing straw hats out in clubs. Fresno State had a hot as hell coach, but fired her. I can't support that decision with an upset pick.

yes, this woman coached basketball

Virginia over UCSB, Louisvlle over Miami (OH), Oklahoma over Illinois State, Vanderbilt over Montana- I'm sure all four of those mid-majors were pretty good but I had seen on ESPN's ticker that the four four seeds went far in conference tournaments because I mistook them for men's tournament scores. If pink is too "50's gender roles" for ESPN to use for these scores, how about orange? wouldn't that work?

Old Dominion over Liberty, Kansas State over Chattanooga, Notre Dame over SMU, New Mexico over West Virginia- I chose New Mexico as my 12-5 upset because Odie is always in the tournament and the Ghost of Jerry Falwell probably didn't give a shit about women's basketball anyway. Plus I enjoy West Virginia's misery because they handle it so well. I figured the New Mexico coach would have 15 death threats on his answering machine when he got home.

George Washington over Auburn, Ohio State over Florida State, Arizona State over Temple, Wyoming over Pittsburgh- Is anybody else watching John Adams on HBO? The guy they cast as George Washington looks EXACTLY like him, or at least every painting of him ever done. I wanted Ohio State to get to the sweet 16 to play LSU in a rematch Columbus would've taken too seriously. I didn't know if these girls played for Arizona State or not.



Georgia Tech over Iowa State, DePaul over Marist, Syracuse over Hartford, Western Kentucky over UTEP- When in doubt I usually take the school with the better football team. DePaul almost beat UConn once, so there ya go. I had one last chance to be an unabashed homer and used it twice. Would've helped to know SU's coach looked just like its incompetent athletic director and was a complete nutjob. Seriously watching him react to calls and non-calls is almost worth the price of admission to these games. Western Kentucky's mens team burned me in "The Jerome" and in the first round of the NCAA tournament. I'm never picking against them before the Second Round of anything ever again.

Texas over Minnesota, Georgia over Iowa, Purdue over Utah, Nebraska over Xavier- When in doubt take the school with the better football team. Besides Texas used to be good in '80s when the girls wore shirt sleeves and not look sexy. As opposed to now when they wear tank tops and not look sexy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home