Monday, February 12, 2007

Over 200 Rappers Can't be Wrong...

And they're not.

I passed on The Grammys last night and instead watched an HD-remastered airing of Scarface on Cinemax. While I had put this off forever because quite frankly, the constant references in hip-hop and MTV's Cribs built up a resolve in me to NOT watch this movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it as much as any great Crime Drama, if not more so.

Without giving away too much for those who still haven't seen it, in case I wasn't the last one, Al Pacino plays Tony Montana who arrives in the US via Cuba in an arranged boatlift of undesirable Cubans to America. Along with his partner Manny, they go from doing political assasinations of Cuban Communists, to low-level buys which of course go bad and lead to Tony walking with the cash and the "yeyo", to brokering arrangements between high-level drug lords in the US and Bolivia, to a near billion dollar corporation.

The movie ends with the infamous "say hello to my little friend" scene which has been mentioned several times. One of the few times I watched a movie, knowing what was coming and being blown away still. Other notes.

-I had no idea Robert Loggia and Michelle Phifer were in this movie, and frankly I could've done without either's performance.

-I thought Scott Hall's 90's WWF character Razor Ramon was loosely based on this movie. I now know it was an all-out ripoff. From his catchphrase to his finishing move, everything is in the script of this movie. I'm surprised he didn't call the Intercontinental Championship belt "The Yeyo".

-Speaking of "Yeyo", I now know the origin of the name "Tony Yeyo", and about half of every reference in hip-hop songs.

-"Yeyo" is my new favorite word.

-One reference not in hip-hop is that of the band Blink-182, who get their name from the amount of times Tony Montana says the F-word in this movie. In case you're wondering, Scarface isn't even close to the most F-words in a movie. The Departed had more. Here's the List. #1 is either a surprise or not a surprise.



Survey says...ripoff!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM , Blogger Paul said...

Scarface is the most overrated movie of all time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home