Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday

I am posting this at 6:05am coming back from my first (and last) Early Bird Circular Special Black Friday quest. A $399 HP Laptop (on the front page of the Best Buy Circular) was my mission, my dad and I went to two separate Best Buys in Southern New Hampshire. My brother and I drove to the one in Manchester wondering if there'd be a small crowd of people or if we'd be one of the first there. We were in a mile and a half long line going around the Mall of New Hampshire. Apparently this line was only a half a mile long at 2AM.

When we finally got in and I asked about the laptop, the Everquest champion working the customer service desk looked at me and said "no, all out, next" like I was stupid for asking the question. Normally this would lead to a confrontation similar to Beers' Bachelor Party in Baltimore (for those that remember that). But while beating these people up in junior high school may have been just playful bullying, at that particular moment it would've been someone else's blog post. So my brother and I turned cheek and walked around realizing that the $2.99 DVD's of White Chicks and Into the Blue weren't worth waiting in the almost as ridiculous checkout lines.

I learned a lesson today though. Unless your willing to start waiting in line, once your home from Thanksgiving dinner, you should ignore anything advertised in a circular (especially Best Buy's) as it will be gone ten minutes after the store opens.

My father had equal success, he is coming home empty handed and sleep deprived as well. Okay, back to sleep. Happy Black Friday!

2 Comments:

At 11:30 PM , Blogger Paul said...

congratulations Derek, you resisted the black friday scam. Get people into the stores hoping for $399 laptops. Once they are there, try to sell them crappy movies on DVD for $2.99. You are a good American.

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger Scott said...

Derek, you should have consulted Black Friday expert SCZA. You need to get there at 3 AM or earlier (helps when your wife works the morning shift and can wake your ass up). A new technique that emerged this year was the big stores made most of their Black Friday offerings available online Thanksgiving day. gottadeal.com has the scoop.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home